Mobility » Travel » How To Apply for a Canadian Passport And ID Overseas

How To Apply for a Canadian Passport And ID Overseas

By IntFormalities
Published on March 18, 2022
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes

Traveling overseas happens for numerous reasons ranging from work to vacation. However, it’s no longer news that important documents like passports and IDs are unavoidable for these travels into Canada. In some cases, these documents could either get missing, stolen, or damaged. 

That being said, there are processes to go through to acquire them overseas. This article covers all requirements needed for the smooth process.

What a passport and ID are and why it is necessary to have each one

As you may already know, a passport is an official identification document used for traveling between foreign countries that certifies the identity and nationality of the owner. It’s crucial to have one in order to prove your identity when traveling overseas. 

Similarly, an Identity Document is an official document or card with your name, date of birth, photograph, or other information.  It proves who you are. It is usually issued by State authority to an individual for providing evidence of the identity of that individual. 

Who can apply?

  • A Canadian citizen over 16 years of age.

For a child (under the age of 16):

  • Child’s parents with proof of parentage
  • Child’s legal guardian with proof of legal guardianship
  • Custodial parent in the case of separation or divorce with proof of related legal documents.

In the case of renewal, apply with an adult passport that:

  • Has been issued with a 5–10-year validity
  • Is not damaged, reported lost or stolen
  • Has the same identity information (name, gender etc.)

Note: You can’t renew a child’s passport if it expires. Instead, apply for a new one until the child turns 16 when they can apply for an adult passport. 

Where and how to do the procedure:

The following procedures must be followed:

  • Get the application form that fits your category. 
  • Get the required documents and attach to your application form 
  • Submit with required fees. These should be certified by your guarantor.

If you’re applying in the US, attach the application form to the required documents. After this, attach the payment receipt and then submit it by mail or courier service. This makes tracking your documents a lot easier.

If you’re applying outside the US, submit your application with other documents and required fees to the nearest Government of Canada office abroad. Particularly, this cannot be done online. You can check more information by clicking here

Documentation you need to submit

The required documents needed are to be certified by your guarantor;

  • The completed application form, signed within the last 12 months.
  • Two identical passport photos taken within the last 12 months.
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship.
  • Proof of identity; And
  • Any Canadian passport or travel document issued to you within the last 5 years.

Requirements that need to be met

You need to be a Canadian citizen above 16 years of age. If the applicant is a minor, his/her legal guardian is required to process it. Asides this, the other requirements are the legal documents needed.

Cost of the procedure, time it takes and validity

  • 5-year adult (validity) passport, C$190.
  • 10-year adult (validity) passport, C$260.
  • Child passport, usually 5 years (validity) C$100.

Note: If you need to replace a valid stolen or lost passport, you will have to pay an extra fee of C$45. You can also pay an extra fee of C$110 to collect the passport in person by the end of the next working day, or C$50 to obtain it between 2-5 working days.

In most cases, it takes 10 business days if sent during mail. In person, the pickup date will be indicated on your receipt.


You don’t have to panic as to how you should go about getting your Canadian passport and Identity Document overseas. You only have to follow these guidelines and you have your documents.

You may also be interested in:

Official ID Documents USA
How to Renew or Apply for a US Passport Overseas

Share this post

You may also like…

Contact us…

Would you like to contact us?

We’d love to hear from you…

Click below to access our contact form.